Chapter 53: About that Independence...

"Aren't the flowers lovely?"
"I'm sure the vegetables will be even lovelier, or at least tastier," Daisy answers Harmony as she's planting up their kitchen garden. 
 
Harmony is still a long way from her grandmother's thriving garden, but with spring having arrived in Brindleton Bay, she is starting to plant some of the seeds she's inherited and some of the plants are coming along nicely. The dragon fruit in her bedroom is almost ready to start producing fruit, which will be a nice addition to the family income, which right now mainly rely on Link's incomes as a vet.
 


Daisy and Harmony is getting a long better and better, and it seems Daisy enjoys the garden too, which gives them plenty of time to spend together as Link work long hours most days and is home little. Daisy, of course work fewer hours than both of them, but so far she has not been able to find another more full time position. It's annoying hours, and far too few and too little money, but at least she's been promoted. Her boss has promised her that she'll recommend her a job if one turns up.



It does leave her with a lot of time on her hands, time she's alone in the house. A lot of that time is spent practising her cooking and mixology skill, hanging out at the lounge and trying to connect with the people around her. With an aspiration of finding a soulmate, she is trying to meet someone, which somehow feels more urgent lately though she can't explain why.

To her annoyance it seems most men in Brindleton Bay are either married, gay or both. Or just more interested in their phones than her. Rude!!!




Daisy insist that her sudden soulmate aspiration has nothing to do with the fact that Link and Anne are getting closer to each other. But of course it is annoying being around a couple, when there is no one around for you. Also, Daisy doesn't much like Anne. There is something about her just rubs Daisy the wrong way.



"She's a snob!" she tells Harmony when Link isn't around. "Your brother should be with someone who is kind, and generous, not some-"
"She's been nice enough towards me, are you sure-"
"Don't go down that route again, no this has nothing to do with that, I just want someone who is worthy of my best friend's affection and I don't think she's it," she tells Harmony as they're working out in the local gym one day.
"Right."
"On another note, is that guy behind us cute?" Daisy asks, looking in the big mirror in front of them.
"Maybe, in a I'm trying way too hard to seem strong and cool way."



It's worth a shot, Daisy decides, striking up a conversation after they've showered and is ready to leave. He seems a bit overwhelmed, and the conversation is a brief one.



While Link does occasionally go to the gym with the girls, he generally prefers jogging outdoors, although most trips end up with him treating poor homeless animals with wellness treats to make sure they are doing better.



But while he wants to treat all animals equal, it's a stray dog that wins his heart. Smart and full of mischief, Diamond just seem the perfect dog, and he's clever enough to know how to win a human over.




On this particular dreary spring day, Harmony has come out with him on his walk, but while he is falling in love with a dog, she finds another form of beauty. Standing there, looking at her phone at a picture she's just taken, she suddenly looks up to see a beautiful woman in front of her.
"Oh, hi." She stares, realise that she's staring, tries to thinking of something to say and ends up with. "Am I in your way." Smooth Harmony. Really smooth.



Turns out Dana doesn't mind awkward conversation starts.
"I just wanted to say your style rocks," she says with a smile, and in no time the two young women start chatting away, about clothes, cats, interests...
"Wanna come and hang out sometime?" Harmony asks. Dana flashes a smile.
"I'd love to."




As Dana walks away, she can hear her brother speaking behind her.
"...amazing, so smart and cute!"
"Yes. Yes, I agree."



"Great! Then we agree! We're keeping him."
"Him? What?"
"I'm going to name him Diamond."
Harmony is clever enough to realise that protesting is not the right option at this point, even if she has doubt to whether they can really afford a dog at the moment. Ah, well, maybe this means she can persuade her brother to get a cat or two once they have some more money.



The next day is Springster, and this year, their parents and sister are visiting them rather than the other way around.
"It will be so fun to see your house," Christmas tells Harmony over the phone.

Harmony and Daisy has had a lot of fun decorating the entire house, while Link is getting lost in training Diamond.
"You'll be happy when he's not chewing on your shoes or peeing indoors," he tells his sister when she complains that he's not helping with the cleaning.




But soon everyone is arriving, and even Link has to pull away from Diamond. He's happy to see his parents, and his sister, and has invited Anne to introduce her to them.




With only three chairs they're gathering around the sofa to eat the ham that Daisy has cooked up for them. She's starting to become a very competent cook.
"Love your shoes," Harmony says to Anne.




Daisy isn't as impressed, and has to spend the afternoon biting her tongue not to say things she'll know will anger the loyal Link. Really, Link could do so much better! Why can't he see that?



The next morning begins on a much sadder note for Link.



Hurrying to the clinic, he tries to comfort Miles. Yes, Max was an old dog, but that doesn't make the loss any easier to handle.
"To be honest, I'm getting old too," Miles tells him. "I'm not sure how much more of this I have in me."
"What do you mean."
"That if you are interested, you should start saving up money. I'm not going to keep the clinic forever, but I'd rather sell to you than to some random stranger. Lilly and I are considering if we should just pack up and move somewhere the weather is warmer and the water is swimmable. Not right away, mind you, but we want to enjoy the time we have left. Life is short, you know?"




He talks the matter over with Harmony when he returns home.
"I mean I'd love to, but I don't know how we're going to get the money."
"We'll figure it out," Harmony said, ever the optimist. "If nothing else works, you could always ask mom and dad."
"Yeah, because that would demonstrate that I'm a grown and mature man ready for my own business, running to our parents."
"Call it a loan, an investment, give them part of whatever profit you make. Just don't let a chance like this pass you by. It's only as hard as you make it."
"I'll think about it," Link says, still not fond of the idea, but not sure how else they'd get the money.


Comments